St. Stephen’s hosting Family Fun Night
Friday, October 4, 2019 | 6:01 AM
Beth Samuel Jewish Center
The center is at 810 Kennedy Drive, Ambridge.
For information, visit beth samuel.org or contact the center at [email protected] comcast.net or 724-266-5238.
• 10 a.m. Oct. 6 — Sukkah decorating and pancake breakfast
• 7 p.m. Oct. 8 — Kol Nidre services
• 9:30 a.m. Oct. 9 — Yom Kippur service and 5 p.m. Ne’ilah services followed by a breakfast
Tickets are required for all High Holy Day services. Contact the office for info on obtaining tickets.
Blackburn United Methodist
The church is at 910 Blackburn Road, Sewickley Heights.
Christ Church at Grove Farm
The church is at 244 Duff Road, Ohio Township. A blended/traditional service is held at 9 a.m. Sundays and a modern service is held at 11:15 a.m. Visit ccgf.org.
• MOPS Kids Clothes & More sale will be held Oct. 11 and 12. There will be deals on kids fall and winter clothes, toys, games, books, furniture and more. Consigment is available. For more information, visit the church website.
• The 2nd Annual Broken Not Defeated men’s conference will be held starting at 7:30 a.m. Nov. 16. The keynote speaker is Pastor Steve Chiles. There will be seven breakout sessions from which to choose. Visit the church website for details.
First Church of Christ, Scientist
The church is at 222 Beaver St., Sewickley. For information, visit christianscience pgh.org or call 412-741-4552.
• Sunday services are held at 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday services are held at 7:30 p.m.
Grace Orthodox Presbyterian
The church is at 1419 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne. For more information, visit graceopcpgh.org or call 412-741-3430.
• Weekly Lord’s Day morning instruction begins at 9:45 a.m. Morning worship is at 11 a.m., and evening worship begins at 6 p.m. Sundays.
North Way Sewickley Valley
North Way Christian Community offers six locations across the Pittsburgh area. Services for the Sewickley Valley location are at Osborne Elementary School, 1414 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne. For more information, visit northway.org or call 724-935-6800.
The church is at 414 Grant St., Sewickley. For more information, visit sewickley presby.org or call 412-741-4550.
• Club 345 meets from 3:45 to 5:15 p.m. Wednesdays in the Faith House. The after-school program is for kids in grades 3-5 who will play games, do crafts and have a snack. Parents are asked to register on the church website. For more information, email [email protected] presby.org.
• Koinonia is a women’s group that meets every Tuesday from 9:15 to 11 a.m. Women gather for communion and a study. All women are welcome to attend.
• The Men’s Huddle meets every Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the Faith House. All men are welcome, regardless of denomination.
• Do you like to knit or would you like to learn how? Knitting for Mission meets Thursdays at 1 p.m. in the Faith House, second floor. This group knits items that are specific to needs in a variety of different mission organizations. All levels of knitters are welcome.
• Check the church website for meeting dates and times, including AA and NA.
Sewickley United Methodist
The church is at 337 Broad St., Sewickley. For more information, call 412-741-9430 or visit sewickleyumc.org.
• A contemporary service is held at 9 a.m. and a traditional service at 11 on Sundays.
• A Fall Welcome Dinner will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 12. Bring friends for a traditional homemade roast pork, sausage and sauerkraut dinner with potatoes, haluski, homemade desserts and beverages. The price is $12 for adults, $6 for 5-12, and under 5 free. Bavarian pretzels and root beer will also be available. Call the church office for tickets.
• The 13th Annual Haunted House will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. Oct. 18, 19, 25 and 26. The Church Boo Crew is preparing heart-racing chills in the Sewickley Asylum, located on the corner of Broad and Thorn streets. Tickets are $8, available at the door.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian
The church is at 801 Beaver St., Sewickley. For more information, visit standrews801.com or call 412-741-8840.
• The church will hold a pet blessing and memorial service Oct. 5. The blessing will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. All well-behaved, leashed or crated pets are welcome. The memorial service will begin at 4 p.m. Photos or mementos of pets who recently passed away are welcome.
• The Legacy Fitness program hosts a low cost, gentle yoga class at the church through Oct. 29. The yoga class will meet at 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays. The recommended donation per class is $5. The Legacy Program was developed in 2018 to help seniors increase and maintain independence, perform everyday tasks with greater ease, and to create a social atmosphere to connect with a positive community. The class will be modifiable for all abilities, including those who need to remain seated for part or all of the class. There is no registration required, but new students are encouraged to arrive 10-15 minutes early to fill out paperwork. Questions can be directed to the church by phone or emailing [email protected]
St. Brendan’s Episcopal
The church is at 2365 McAleer Road, Franklin Park. Eucharist services are at 8 and 10 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m. Wednesdays. For more information, visit stbrendans.org or call 412-364-5974.
• St. Brendan’s weekly Eucharist services are at 8 and 10 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m Wednesdays.
• An adult formation series exploring themes in the Book of Job is offered twice a week: Sundays at 9 a.m. and Wednesdays at 6 p.m. The discussion group will use the book “Job and the Mystery of Suffering: Spiritual Reflections” by Richard Rohr.
• The Justice Ministry is helping Allegheny County residents register to vote. Voter registration forms are available in the church entrance and can be completed and mailed by the voter. Oct. 7 is the deadline to be registered for the Nov. 5 election. Applications for an absentee ballot must be made by Oct. 29.
• The annual Blessing of the Animals will occur at 11:30 a.m. Oct. 6. All are invited to bring their dogs, cats and other pets to the church for a special blessing. Experts will provide animal health and nutrition information and owners can receive a free photo of their pets.
• The book club is reading “Becoming” by Michelle Obama and will meet at 7 p.m. Oct. 10.
• Being a Modern Episcopalian is a small-group discussion on Mondays at 11 a.m. to help Christians navigate contemporary issues.
• Conversation Friends helps immigrants learn English to help with everyday life. Sessions are held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. and Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Tutors and students welcome.
• The Rev. Regis Smolko offers Bible Conversations on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.
St. James Catholic
The church is at 200 Walnut St., Sewickley. For information, visit saint james-church.com or call 412-741-6650.
St. Matthews AME Zion
The church is at 345 Thorn St., Sewickley.
• Sunday school is at 9:30 a.m., and service starts at 10:30.
St. Paul’s Lutheran
The church is at 616 Washington St., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-8484 or view the website at stpaulssewickley.org.
St. Stephen’s Anglican
The church is at 405 Frederick Ave., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-1790 or visit ststephenschurch.net.
• Family Fun Night will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 4. Stop by the church for a hot dog dinner, bounce house, games, movies and more.
• Grief support for anyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one will be held at 7 p.m. Oct. 15. Call the church to attend.