St. Brendan’s hiking group to go eagle spotting, and other happenings at places of worship
Friday, April 12, 2019 | 6:00 AM
Beth Samuel Jewish Center
The center is at 810 Kennedy Drive, Ambridge.
For information, visit bethsamuel.org or contact the center at [email protected] comcast.net or 724-266-5238.
• 9 a.m. April 20 — Torah Yoga
• 6 p.m. April 20 — Passover Across America-Second Night Seder
Blackburn United Methodist Church
The church is at 910 Blackburn Road, Sewickley Heights.
Christ Church at Grove Farm
The church is at 244 Duff Road, Ohio Township.
• Summer Day Camp registration is open. Campers in preschool through fifth grade will embark on a wild African adventure July 15-19. For information and to register, visit ccgf.org/summer-day-camp.
First Church of Christ, Scientist
The church is at 222 Beaver St., Sewickley. For more information, call 412-741-4552.
• The Reading Room is open on the third Tuesday of the month from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Grace Anglican Church, Edgeworth
The church is at 325 Church Lane, Edgeworth. For more information, visit edgeworth anglican.com.
Grace Orthodox Presbyterian
The church is at 1419 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne. For more information, visit www.graceopcpgh.org or call 412-741-3430.
• Weekly Lord’s Day morning instruction begins at 9:45 a.m. Morning worship is at 11 a.m. and evening worship begins at 6 p.m. Sundays.
The church is at 414 Grant St., Sewickley. For more information, visit sewickley presby.org or call 412-741-4550.
• Club 345, an after-school program for grades 3-5, meets from 3:45 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays in the Faith House. Parents are asked to check their children in and to pick them up. Kids will play games, do craft projects and have a snack. Contact Brian Mack at [email protected] or 412-741-4550.
• Youth Group, for grades 6-12, meets from 4 to 5:15 p.m. Sundays in the Faith House. Students have time to eat, hang out and grow in their faith alongside their peers. Contact Mike Creamer at [email protected]
• The Men’s Huddle meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays in the Faith House. All men are welcome, regardless of denomination. The group focuses on fellowship and growing in faith. Direct questions to 412-741-4550.
• Koinonia is a women’s group that meets from 9:15 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays. Women gather for communion and a study.
• Do you like to knit or would you like to learn how? Knitting for Mission meets at 1 p.m. Thursdays in the Faith House. This group knits items that are specific to needs in a variety of different mission organizations. All levels of knitters are welcome.
• Alcoholics Anonymous, Nar-Anon, Al-Anon, Narcotics Anonymous and Overeaters Anonymous are hosted at various times during the week. Times and days are listed on the church website.
Sewickley United Methodist Church
The church is at 337 Broad St. For more information, visit sewickleyumc.org or call 412-741-9430.
North Way Sewickley Valley
North Way Christian Community offers six locations across the Pittsburgh area, including its Sewickley Valley location.
Services for the Sewickley Valley location are held at Osborne Elementary School, 1414 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne.
For more information, visit northway.org or call 724-935-6800.
St. Brendan’s Episcopal Church
The church is at 2365 McAleer Road, Franklin Park. For more information, visit stbrendans.org or call 412-364-5974.
• Palm Sunday service will be held at 8 and 10 a.m. April 14.
• A quiet evening prayer with Taize music will begin at 7 p.m. April 17.
• Maundy Thursday service will be held at 7 p.m. April 18.
• Good Friday service will be held at noon and 7 p.m. April 19.
• Saturday Easter vigil will be held at 8 p.m. April 20.
• Easter Sunday service will be held at 8 and 10 a.m. April 21.
• Brendan’s Boots, the parish hiking group, will go eagle-spotting in Pittsburgh’s Hays neighborhood on April 13. Walkers will meet at the church at 10 a.m., carpool to Homestead and follow the Three Rivers Heritage Trail. Lunch will follow.
• ESL Conversation Friends teaches conversational English to immigrants Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. and Wednesdays at 7 p.m. New students are welcome, and volunteer tutors are needed.
St. James Catholic
The church is at 200 Walnut St., Sewickley.
• The church will have Eucharistic Adoration Monday through Friday during Lent. Adoration begins after 9 a.m. Mass until 9 p.m., and Fridays until 6:45 p.m., followed by Stations of the Cross.
St. Matthew’s AME Zion Church
The church is at 345 Thorn St., Sewickley.
• Sunday school is at 9:30 a.m. and service starts at 10:30.
St. Paul’s Lutheran
The church is at 616 Washington St., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-8484 or visit www.stpauls sewickley.org.
• Worship is held at 8:15 and 11 a.m. Sundays, and Sunday school for all ages is at 9:30. Bible study is held at 7 p.m. every other Tuesday.
• Palm Sunday worship will be held at 8:15 and 11 a.m. April 14.
• Maundy Thursday worship will be held at 7 p.m. April 18.
• Good Friday Tenebrae service will be held at 8 p.m. April 19.
• The church will host a community Easter egg hunt at 11 a.m. April 20 in the courtyard, weather permitting. In case of rain, it will be held in the fellowship area. This free event is for families with children under 12 and will include a snack and craft.
• Easter Sunday worship will be held at 8:15 and 11 a.m. April 21.
St. Stephen’s Anglican Church
The church is at 405 Frederick Ave., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-1790 or visit www.ststephenschurch.net.
• Maundy Thursday dinner and service will be held April 18. Bring a salad, bread or dessert to share with provided lamb stew. A love offering will be collected. Childcare for infants to 5 years old will be provided starting at 7 p.m. A service of Holy Communion will begin around 7:15 p.m. Call the church to RSVP.
• Good Friday service will be held from noon to 3 p.m. April 19. The service will include sermons, choral presentations, hymns and prayers.
• Community Easter egg hunt will be held at 10 a.m. April 20 for ages 2 to 10 on the front lawn.
• Easter weekend services include an Easter Eve vigil at 6 p.m. April 20; traditional worship at 8 and 9 a.m. April 21 and contemporary worship at 11.
• All who are suffering the loss of a loved one are welcome to GriefShare. Meetings are held from 7 to 8:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of each month in the church library.