Sewickley-area places of worship host events to coincide with Harvest fest
Friday, September 6, 2019 | 6:01 AM
Beth Samuel Jewish Center
The center is at 810 Kennedy Drive, Ambridge.
For information, visit beth samuel.org or contact the center at [email protected] or 724-266-5238.
• 10 a.m. Sept. 15 — Religious School Kickoff; Contact the center for registration information.
• 7 p.m. Sept. 21 — Selichot; RSVP is required.
Blackburn United Methodist
The church is at 910 Blackburn Road, Sewickley Heights.
Christ Church at Grove Farm
The church is at 244 Duff Road, Ohio Township. A blended/traditional service is held at 9 a.m. Sundays and a modern service is held at 11 a.m. Visit ccgf.org.
• Primetimes ministry is a monthly gathering for fellowship and sharing a meal, held the first Thursday of the month at noon.
• A new session of DivorceCare starts Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Farmhouse for those suffering through a divorce or separation. Contact Susan Dwyer at 724-242-0939.
First Church of Christ, Scientist
The church is at 222 Beaver St., Sewickley. For information, visit christiansciencepgh.org or call 412-741-4552.
• Sunday services are held at 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday services are held at 7:30 p.m.
Grace Orthodox Presbyterian
The church is at 1419 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne. For more information, visit graceopcpgh.org or call 412-741-3430.
• Weekly Lord’s Day morning instruction begins at 9:45 a.m. Morning worship is at 11 a.m., and evening worship begins at 6 p.m. Sundays.
North Way Sewickley Valley
North Way Christian Community offers six locations across the Pittsburgh area. Services for the Sewickley Valley location are at Osborne Elementary School, 1414 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne.
For more information, visit northway.org or call 724-935-6800.
The church is at 414 Grant St., Sewickley. For more information, visit sewickleypresby.org or call 412-741-4550.
• The annual rummage sale, Day on the Lawn, will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 7. Visit the church website for a complete list of items available for sale. Cash, checks, credit and debit will be accepted as payment.
• There will be just one worship service on Sept. 8 at 10 a.m.
Sewickley United Methodist
The church is at 337 Broad St., Sewickley. For more information, call 412-741-9430 or visit sewickley umc.org.
• Worship service is at 11:30 a.m. Sundays.
• The Sewickley United Methodist Women will hold a rummage sale from 5 to 8 p.m. Sept. 6 and from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept. 7. The sale will offer household items, clothing and other finds. All of the proceeds go to support local, national and international missions. The church is on the corner of Broad and Thorn Streets. Please enter on Thorn Street.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian
The church is at 801 Beaver St., Sewickley. For more information, visit standrews801.com or call 412-741-8840.
• The church will hold a rummage sale from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 7. Credit cards will be accepted and food will be available for purchase. For questions, call Elsie at 724-531-1416 or email [email protected]
St. Brendan’s Episcopal
The church is at 2365 McAleer Road, Franklin Park. Eucharist services are at 8 and 10 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m. Wednesdays. For more information, visit stbrendans.org or call 412-364-5974.
• St. Brendan’s weekly Eucharist services are at 8 and 10 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m Wednesdays.
• Parents are invited to register their children now for the new Sunday school year, which begins Sept. 8 at 10 a.m. Classes will be held for two age groups: pre-K to second grade, and third grade through fifth grade.
• Sticks & Strings, the parish knitting group, will resume its second Thursday of the month meeting schedule at 7 p.m. Sept. 12.
• A concert by the acoustic folk-rock trio of Kim Losego, Wally Pease and Richie Dugan will be held at 7 p.m. Sept. 13. Admission is a $15 donation.
• The annual Ministry Fair will be held on Sept. 15 after the 10 a.m. service. Ministry leaders will be in the social hall to distribute information and answer parishioners’ questions about the church activities they lead.
• The Senior Choir is seeking new members. It rehearses on Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. and reviews on Sundays at 9 a.m. before singing at the 10 a.m. service. The multi-generational Chime Choir is also looking for more members, ages 10 and up. Rehearsals are Sundays at 11:30 a.m.
• A nine-week series exploring themes in the Book of Job will begin on Sept. 15 and be offered twice a week: Sundays at 9 a.m. and Wednesdays at 6 p.m. The discussion group will use the book “Job and the Mystery of Suffering: Spiritual Reflections” by Richard Rohr.
St. James Catholic
The church is at 200 Walnut St., Sewickley. For information, visit saintjames-church.com or call 412-741-6650.
• A Fill the Truck Bundle Drive will be held in the church parking lot from 8 to 11 a.m. Sept. 15. Items including clean clothing, accessories and coats in all sizes, linens, blankets and kitchenware, and small working appliances can be donated. Donations will assist families in need. For more information, call 412-979-2401.
• A 20-session study of “Acts: The Spread of the Kingdom,” will begin at 1 p.m. Sept. 18, and continue on Wednesdays, and 9:15 a.m. Sept 22, and continue on Sundays. The study, led by Jeff Cavins, will trace how the gospel witness spread outward in waves from Jerusalem and reveal how the seeds of church structure and authority took root. Contact Tharshini Wilson at 412-801-2646 to register. The cost is $30.
St. Matthews AME Zion
The church is at 345 Thorn St., Sewickley.
• Sunday school is at 9:30 a.m., and service starts at 10:30.
• SOUL Food Celebration at the church will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 7. A full slab of ribs is $20, with a half-slab at $11. A dinner with one side is $10. Chicken wings are $6 for 5 wings, while a wing dinner with one side is $8. A la carte sides are $3 each and include red beans with rice, mac and cheese, collard greens and sweet potato pie slices. For information, call Scooby at 646-281-0646.
St. Paul’s Lutheran
The church is at 616 Washington St., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-8484 or view the website at stpaulssewickley.org.
• Summer worship is at 8:15 and 10 a.m. through mid-September.
• A mid-week prayer and hymn service is held at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month through the end of September.
• The church will host a rummage and bake sale from 4 to 7 p.m. Sept. 6 and from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sept. 7. The sale will include clothing, toys, household items, and small furniture. A bag sale will begin at 10:30 a.m. Saturday. For $3, buy anything that will fit into a bag. Bags will be provided at the church. Proceeds will benefit renovations of the community fellowship room at St. Paul’s.
St. Stephen’s Anglican
The church is at 405 Frederick Ave., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-1790 or visit ststephenschurch.net.
• Christy House reopens Sept. 13. A Friday tradition at St. Stephen’s since 1976, guests are invited to enjoy lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. amid a Victorian setting. The Christy House has two unique stores, the Needles Eye (new) and Earthly Treasures (gently used), where special gift items and collectibles can be purchased. Visit ststephenschurch.net/christyhouse for the weekly menu and to make reservations.
• Women are invited to attend Discerning the Voice of God at 7 p.m. Mondays starting Sept. 23. This video-based Bible study will explores the root to clear and daily communication with God. The series is free but study guides are available for $17. To register, email [email protected] church.net.
• A grief support group for anyone grieving the loss of a loved one will take place at 7 p.m. Sept. 17. Call the church if you’d like to attend.