Sewickley-area churches host Light Up Night events
Thursday, November 28, 2019 | 6:01 AM
Antioch Baptist Church
The church is at 332 Elizabeth St., Sewickley.
Sunday school is at 9:30 a.m. followed by worship and praise service at 10:45 a.m. A Bible study and prayer service is at 7 p.m. Wednesdays. For more information, call 412-741-7688 or visit antiochfw baptistsewickley.org.
Beth Samuel Jewish Center
The center is at 810 Kennedy Drive, Ambridge.
For information, visit beth samuel.org or contact the center at [email protected] or 724-266-5238.
• 10 a.m. Dec. 8 — Semi-Annual Meeting
• 6 p.m. Dec. 14 — Adult Hanukkah Party including Hanukkah Happy Hour & Greetings at the Iron Horse Theatre (RSVP required by Dec 6)
• 10 a.m. Dec. 15 — Hanukkah Party and Latke Luncheon
Blackburn United Methodist
The church is at 910 Blackburn Road, Sewickley Heights.
Christ Church at Grove Farm
The church is at 244 Duff Road, Ohio Township. A blended/traditional service is held at 9 a.m. Sundays and a modern service is held at 11:15 a.m. Visit ccgf.org.
• First Thursday Fellowship for those 55+ will be held at noon Dec. 5 in the Fellowship Hall. Clarissa Boden will perform Christmas music. Reservations are required for this catered lunch by calling 724-776-1146.
• Light the Night: Urban Impact’s Christmas celebration will be held at 7 p.m. Dec. 6 and 7 in the sanctuary. Featuring stunning performances, live music, dance and art, the show is new every year. Admission is free.
• At 7 p.m. Dec. 19, celebrate the magic of the season with Michael W. Smith and special guest Marc Martel as they perform favorite Christmas and holiday songs accompanied by a full symphony orchestra. Tickets are on sale now at ccgf.org/upcoming-events.
Fairmount Presbyterian Church
The church is at 2535 Fairmount Church Road, Sewickley. Sunday school for children and adults begins at 9 a.m. and worship is held at 10 a.m. Wednesday prayer is held at 6:30 p.m.
For more information, call 412-364-7880 or visit www. fairmountarpchurch.com.
First Church of Christ, Scientist
The church is at 222 Beaver St., Sewickley. For information, visit christianscience pgh.org or call 412-741-4552.
• Sunday services are held at 10:30 a.m., and Wednesday services are held at 7:30 p.m.
Grace Orthodox Presbyterian
The church is at 1419 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne. For more information, visit graceopcpgh.org or call 412-741-3430.
• Weekly Lord’s Day morning instruction begins at 9:45 a.m. Morning worship is at 11 a.m., and evening worship begins at 6 p.m. Sundays.
North Way Sewickley Valley
North Way Christian Community offers six locations across the Pittsburgh area. Services for the Sewickley Valley location are at Osborne Elementary School, 1414 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne. For more information, visit north way.org or call 724-935-6800.
The church is at 414 Grant St., Sewickley. For more information, visit sewickley presby.org or call 412-741-4550.
• Club 345 meets from 3:45 to 5:15 p.m. Wednesdays in the Faith House. The after-school program is for kids in grades 3-5 who will play games, do crafts and have a snack. Parents are asked to register on the church website. For more information, email [email protected] presby.org.
• Koinonia is a women’s group that meets every Tuesday from 9:15 to 11 a.m. Women gather for communion and a study. All women are welcome to attend.
• The Men’s Huddle meets every Monday at 6:30 p.m. in the Faith House. All men are welcome, regardless of denomination.
• Do you like to knit or would you like to learn how? Knitting for Mission meets Thursdays at 1 p.m. in the Faith House, second floor. This group knits items that are specific to needs in a variety of different mission organizations. All levels of knitters are welcome.
Sewickley United Methodist
The church is at 337 Broad St., Sewickley. For more information, call 412-741-9430 or visit sewickleyumc.org.
• A contemporary service is held at 9 a.m. and a traditional service at 11 on Sundays.
• The church will host their monthly salad luncheon from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 5 in the church’s fellowship hall. The menu includes a buffet of homemade salads, dessert, bottomless drink, and Pastor Russel’s homemade rolls for only $8. Takeout is available. Call the church office with any questions.
• Join us for Christmas music, a carol sing, and a live nativity in the sanctuary from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 6 during Sewickley’s Light Up Night. Santa’s hotline will also be open on our front lawn for little ones wanting to give their wish list to Santa by phone.
• The church will host their annual Cookie Walk from 9 to 11 a.m. Dec. 14. Thousands of homemade cookies and candies will be available at $20 per box. All proceeds benefit the church’s general fund. Please enter the Thorn Street entrance.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian
The church is at 801 Beaver St., Sewickley. For more information, visit standrews801.com or call 412-741-8840.
• The church will host a Christmas concert with the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra at 6 p.m. Dec. 7. Tickets are $10 and available at the door and online at http://www.emsworthstandrews.com
St. Brendan’s Episcopal
The church is at 2365 McAleer Road, Franklin Park. Eucharist services are at 8 and 10 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m. Wednesdays. For more information, visit stbrendans.org or call 412-364-5974.
• St. Brendan’s weekly Eucharist services are at 8 and 10 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m. Wednesdays.
• The Book Club is reading “Rocket Boys” by Homer H. Hickam this month, a coming-of-age memoir about the author’s youth in a hardscrabble West Virginia coal town as Sputnik caught the nation’s imagination. The book will be discussed at the church at 7 p.m. Dec. 5.
• Being a Modern Episcopalian is a small-group discussion on Mondays at 11 a.m. to help Christians navigate contemporary issues.
• Conversation Friends helps immigrants learn English to help with everyday life. Sessions are held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. and Wednesdays at 7 p.m. Tutors and students welcome.
• The Rev. Regis Smolko offers Bible Conversations on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.
St. James Catholic
The church is at 200 Walnut St., Sewickley. For information, visit saintjames-church.com or call 412-741-6650.
• Join the church from 4 to 7 p.m. Dec. 6 for the fifth Annual Sewickley Light-Up Night Pasta Feast. Menu consists of classic tomato pasta for $10, pasta and meatballs for $13, and pasta and chicken parmigiana for $14. Kids 6-12 are $5. Kids under 5 are free. Advance ticket purchase available at the parish office. Tickets purchased at door will be $2 more.
St. Matthews AME Zion
The church is at 345 Thorn St., Sewickley.
• Sunday school is at 9:30 a.m., and service starts at 10:30.
St. Paul’s Lutheran
The church is at 616 Washington St., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-8484 or view the website at stpaulssewickley.org.
• The church will host its annual Soup and Sandwich Dinner on Sewickley’s Light-Up Night, Dec. 6.
The sit-down dinner is 4 to 7:30 p.m. Volunteers will serve a variety of homemade soups, hot sandwiches, cookies and soft drinks. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children under 12. Tickets may be purchased at the door.
After the dinner, St. Paul’s director of music Agoston Solczi and special guest artist James Dengler will present an organ concert in the sanctuary at 7:30 p.m. The concert is free.
St. Stephen’s Anglican
The church is at 405 Frederick Ave., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-1790 or visit ststephenschurch.net.
• Grief Support for anyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one will meet at 7 p.m. Dec. 3. Call 412-741-1790, ext. 136, to attend.
• Stop by the Henning House front porch during Light Up Night, Dec. 6. The church will show a movie and offer s’mores and hot chocolate to the community from 6 to 9 p.m.
• Lessons and Carols will take place during regular worship services times Dec. 7 and 8.