Sewickley’s 424 Walnut reopens after small roof fire

Thursday, August 15, 2019 | 11:31 AM


A fire broke out on the roof of popular eatery 424 Walnut just as staff was preparing to open the doors at 11 a.m. Thursday.

By 12:30 p.m., owner Joe Piccirilli was ready to open.

“I knew it was probably nothing, but you don’t want to take a chance at all,” said Piccirilli of calling first responders.

Workers were repairing a section of the building’s rubber roof when it caught fire.

“It’s normal for a rubber roof to use a propane torch to seal the seams,” said Cochran Hose Company Chief Shayne Quinn. “(The workers) used an extinguisher and got it out.”

Though the fire appeared to be extinguished, there were some flames between the roofing material and building, causing smoke to seep into the kitchen. Firefighters used water to douse the remaining fire.

“We have to take it seriously. These are old buildings. We can’t get complacent,” said Quinn.

Walnut Street from Thorn Street to Beaver Street was temporarily closed to traffic by Sewickley police.

No injuries were reported and Piccirilli said the interior of the restaurant was not damaged.

In addition to Sewickley, fire departments from Aleppo, Leetsdale and Emsworth assisted at the scene.