Christy House in Sewickley reopens for the season
Friday, September 13, 2019 | 6:01 AM
Beth Samuel Jewish Center
The center is at 810 Kennedy Drive, Ambridge.
For information, visit beth samuel.org or contact the center at [email protected] or 724-266-5238.
• 7 p.m. Sept. 21 — Selichot; RSVP is required.
• 7 p.m. Sept. 29 — Erev Rosh Hashanah Services
• 9:30 a.m. Sept. 30 — Rosh Hashanah Services followed by a Kiddush Luncheon
• 10:30 a.m. Sept 30 — Rosh Hashanah Children’s Services
Tickets are required for all High Holy Day services. Contact the office for info on obtaining tickets.
Blackburn United Methodist
The church is at 910 Blackburn Road, Sewickley Heights.
Christ Church at Grove Farm
The church is at 244 Duff Road, Ohio Township. A blended/traditional service is held at 9 a.m. Sundays and a modern service is held at 11:15 a.m. Visit ccgf.org.
• DivorceCare is held Mondays at 7 p.m. in the Farmhouse for those suffering through a divorce or separation. Contact Susan Dwyer at 724-242-0939.
• GriefShare will be held Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. in the Farmhouse for anyone experiencing a loss. Contact Ed Santavicca at 412-559-1168.
• Recovery Support Ministry provides a Christ-centered 12-step curriculum for those seeking guidance for alcohol and drug dependence. It will be held Mondays at 7 p.m. in the Barn. For information, visit ccgf.org/recovery.
• For information on new fall weekly Bible studies for women, men, couples and families, visit ccgf.org/bible-studies.
First Church of Christ, Scientist
The church is at 222 Beaver St., Sewickley. For information, visit christianscience pgh.org or call 412-741-4552.
• Sunday services are held at 10:30 a.m. and Wednesday services are held at 7:30 p.m.
Grace Orthodox Presbyterian
The church is at 1419 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne. For more information, visit grace opcpgh.org or call 412-741-3430.
• Weekly Lord’s Day morning instruction begins at 9:45 a.m. Morning worship is at 11 a.m., and evening worship begins at 6 p.m. Sundays.
North Way Sewickley Valley
North Way Christian Community offers six locations across the Pittsburgh area. Services for the Sewickley Valley location are at Osborne Elementary School, 1414 Beaver Road, Glen Osborne. For more information, visit northway.org or call 724-935-6800.
The church is at 414 Grant St., Sewickley. For more information, visit sewickleypresby.org or call 412-741-4550.
Sewickley United Methodist
The church is at 337 Broad St., Sewickley. For more information, call 412-741-9430 or visit sewickley umc.org.
• Worship service is at 11:30 a.m. Sundays.
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian
The church is at 801 Beaver St., Sewickley. For more information, visit standrews801.com or call 412-741-8840.
• The church will hold a pet blessing and memorial service Oct. 5. The blessing will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. All well-behaved, leashed or crated pets are welcome. The memorial service will begin at 4 p.m. Photos or mementos of pets who recently passed away are welcome.
St. Brendan’s Episcopal
The church is at 2365 McAleer Road, Franklin Park. Eucharist services are at 8 and 10 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m. Wednesdays. For more information, visit stbrendans.org or call 412-364-5974.
• St. Brendan’s weekly Eucharist services are at 8 and 10 a.m. Sundays and 7 p.m Wednesdays.
• Sticks & Strings, the parish knitting group, will resume its second Thursday of the month meeting schedule at 7 p.m. Sept. 12.
• A concert by the acoustic folk-rock trio of Kim Losego, Wally Pease and Richie Dugan will be held at 7 p.m. Sept. 13. Admission is a $15 donation.
• The annual Ministry Fair will be held Sept. 15 after the 10 a.m. service. Ministry leaders will be in the social hall to distribute information and answer parishioners’ questions about the church activities they lead.
• A nine-week series exploring themes in the Book of Job will begin on Sept. 15 and be offered twice a week: Sundays at 9 a.m. and Wednesdays at 6 p.m. The discussion group will use the book “Job and the Mystery of Suffering: Spiritual Reflections” by Richard Rohr.
• Brendan’s Boots, the parish hiking group, will explore the George and Guy Trail on Mount Washington on Sept. 23 after leaving the church at 9 a.m. Hikers will enjoy lunch afterwards at the Bigham Tavern.
• The monthly Men’s Breakfast will be held at 9 a.m. Sept. 23 at the Eat’n Park on Rt. 910 in Franklin Park.
St. James Catholic
The church is at 200 Walnut St., Sewickley. For information, visit saintjames-church.com or call 412-741-6650.
• A Fill the Truck Bundle Drive will be held in the church parking lot from 8 to 11 a.m. Sept. 15. Items including clean clothing, accessories and coats in all sizes, linens, blankets and kitchenware, and small working appliances can be donated. Donations will assist families in need. For more information, call 412-979-2401.
• A 20-session study of “Acts: The Spread of the Kingdom,” will begin at 1 p.m. Sept. 18, and continue on Wednesdays, and 9:15 a.m. Sept 22, and continue on Sundays. The study, led by Jeff Cavins, will trace how the gospel witness spread outward in waves from Jerusalem and reveal how the seeds of church structure and authority took root. Contact Tharshini Wilson at 412-801-2646 to register. The cost is $30.
St. Matthews AME Zion
The church is at 345 Thorn St., Sewickley.
• Sunday school is at 9:30 a.m., and service starts at 10:30.
St. Paul’s Lutheran
The church is at 616 Washington St., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-8484 or view the website at stpaulssewickley.org.
• Summer worship is at 8:15 and 10 a.m. through mid-September.
• A mid-week prayer and hymn service is held at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month through the end of September.
St. Stephen’s Anglican
The church is at 405 Frederick Ave., Sewickley. For information, call 412-741-1790 or visit ststephenschurch.net.
• Christy House reopens Sept. 13. A Friday tradition at St. Stephen’s since 1976, guests are invited to enjoy lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. amid a Victorian setting. The Christy House has two unique stores, the Needles Eye (new) and Earthly Treasures (gently used), where special gift items and collectibles can be purchased. Visit ststephenschurch.net/christyhouse for the weekly menu and to make reservations.
• Women are invited to attend Discerning the Voice of God at 7 p.m. Mondays starting Sept. 23. The series is free but study guides are available for $17. To register, email [email protected] st.stephens church.net.
• A grief support group for anyone grieving the loss of a loved one will take place at 7 p.m. Sept. 17. Call the church if you’d like to attend.