Bell Acres councilman accused of driving through protesters no-show at council meeting

Monday, July 9, 2018 | 10:12 PM


A Bell Acres councilman accused of driving his vehicle through a crowd of protesters at PNC Park in June was a no-show at the borough’s regular meeting on July 9.

Gregory Wagner, 58, was excused from the meeting, which would’ve been his first meeting following the June 22 incident, where Pittsburgh police say Wagner allegedly drove through a crowd protesting the shooting death of Antwon Rose on the city’s North Shore.

Wagner is charged with three counts of recklessly endangering another person and two summary traffic violations — careless driving and driving the wrong way, according to court records.

A statement attached to the borough’s council agenga, in part, read: “At tonight’s regular meeting, the council of the Borough of Bell Acres will not be providing additional comments on or responding to questions about the recent incident in the City of Pittsburgh allegedly involving a Council member. This legal proceeding does not directly involve the Borough and will continue through the justice system.”

Following the incident last month, borough Solicitor Robert Max Junker issued a statement saying borough leaders were “stunned to hear the news reports on the evening of June 29. Our sympathies are with those injured in June 22’s protest outside PNC Park. We will … follow the law as set forth in the Pennsylvania Borough Code and Pennsylvania Constitution.”

Sewickley Academy cut ties with Gregory Wagner, a volunteer middle school lacrosse coach, after he was charged.

Michelle Boyle of Highland Park said she attended the borough meeting because she “wanted council to see the face of someone that (Wagner) could’ve hit.”

Boyle said Bell Acres leaders should be saying more.

“It would be encouraging to see the council members saying more,” she said. “One would expect more and hold elected officials to a higher standard.

Tags: